Sunday, March 3, 2013

How To Be Successful In College Tip #5: Use Fun As A Reward


When I was in college there was a crazy party every weekend. One weekend there would be a big outdoor foam party, the next weekend an upscale party at a fancy hotel and the weekend after that a reggae party at a local club. Partying is definitely a big part of the college experience and if approached the right way, can actually help you achieve higher grades. The key is to use your desire to have fun as a reward for completing work. For example, if I knew there was a big party on Saturday night then I would tell myself that I could not go unless I completed a certain amount of school work. I’d then get up at about 8am on Saturday, eat breakfast, go to the library and begin my work. I would stay in the library until about 5pm or whenever my work was done. Every time I felt like quitting and heading back to my dorm to play PS3 I reminded myself that I had to complete this work if I wanted to go to that party. This would give me the motivation to push through tough assignments.

In order for this to work, however, you MUST stick to the goal that you set for yourself. You won’t get ahead in your school work or in life if you try to take shortcuts. There were several times when I told myself that I would not got to the party unless I did both my physics and my English assignments. After completing my physics assignment I’d think “well I think I did enough today. I mean that physics was so tough that I really deserve to go to that party now and I can always do my English assignment later.” This type thinking is counterproductive. No matter how accomplished you feel you have not done enough until you’ve met your original goals. If you adapt this attitude then this method will help you improve your grades!

No comments:

Post a Comment